There’s no doubt about it, older homes have picturesque architecture and a wonderful “feel” to them. Old homes are a very desirable commodity in the housing market today, and it’s likely you will pay more for an older home, even though it’s a given that you will need to remodel it to make it truly livable. The first place to start upgrading your beautiful, aging home is with the electrical system. Old homes simply weren’t built to handle the amount of electricity we need to handle all of the computers, TV’s, chargers, sound systems, and large appliances we need today. Here are some sure signs you need to call us to come in and do an inspection – and some work!
- small or hard to find circuit breakers that frequently “trip,” or – even worse – have old-fashioned fuses that need replacement on a regular basis
- unusual sounds that come when something goes on or off, like a sizzle, pop, or buzz
- outlets or switch plates that are hot to the touch
- a “smoking rubber” smell; overheated wires give off the odor of hot insulation
- if you get any kind of electrical shock anywhere in the house, no matter how small
- cut, broken, or cracked insulation on electrical wiring
- outlets that are discolored or have burn marks around them
- wires or light fixtures that hang out of the wall or ceiling
These all seem like fairly obvious signs of trouble, but you’d be surprised how long some people can live with a light bulb hanging out of the ceiling in their dining room!