If you have a light switch or electrical outlet that doesn’t work, and you’re in a home that was constructed or renovated before 1972, it’s a good idea to call in a professional electrician to determine the cause, because you may have a potential fire hazard on your hands. In the 60’s and 70’s, aluminum wiring replaced copper wiring in homes for a time, because the price of copper and copper wiring spiked. In 1972, it was discovered that aluminum wiring could create a condition that would lead to an electrical fire more easily than copper wiring does, and so aluminum wiring was outlawed for installation inside any new construction after that. If your home is more than 45 years old, it may have aluminum wiring in it, and if an outlet or switch isn’t working, it may be because it has been damaged by electrical arcing, and that’s a potentially dangerous situation. Give us a call, we’ll be glad to come check it out for you!