Although we are all aware of the dangers of improperly dealing with electricity, there are some instances when we tend to forget about or ignore them completely. Thus, it won’t hurt us to be reminded of them time and again – for safety’s sake.
Don’t Put Wires under Carpets
Some people who want to run wires across the room but do not want them to be hanging on walls, or want to keep them hidden often run them under the carpet. This may make sense on the aesthetic side, but not on the safety side. By doing so, you increase the chances of you stepping on them and break the insulation and expose the wires. The next time you step on them, you may get electrocuted.
Don’t Overload Sockets and Outlets
Some people just have too many appliances and gadgets that they want to plug in and use all at the same time. Thus, they resort to plugging so many devices into one socket and create their own “octopus wiring”. This is never a good idea, because overloading can cause the electrical circuit to burn up and result to unwanted fires.
Unplug All Appliances When Not in Use
When not in use, it is wise to unplug all appliances because even if they are turned off, as long as they are plugged in, current is still running on them. This practice is not only safe but also saves you some money. Before you go to bed, be sure to unplug all electrical appliances that are not needed to run 24/7, with the exception of the refrigerator perhaps.
Pull the Plug Properly
Some people often remove the plug by yanking at the cord, which is not a good idea because it can cause the cord to break, damage the plug and the outlet and even cause fires. To properly remove a plug, hold the plug itself and pull it out straight – never try to wiggle them out of the outlet.
Water and Electricity Don’t Mix
There are some instances where people tend to mix electricity and water sometimes unintentionally, like plugging in the blower with wet hands after showering or after they come dripping wet from the pool. This is never a good idea since this is a major cause for electrocution. Make sure that you and your hands and feet are completely dried before touching any electrical appliances.