Carbon monoxide is a silent, odorless killer, persistent in many homes today. Health issues associated with carbon monoxide poisoning often go undiagnosed due to their similarity to other illnesses. Without a carbon monoxide detector, your family could be exposed to this potentially deadly gas without you even being aware there is a problem. Installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home can save you and your family from illness or death.
The Problem by the Numbers
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, between 1999 and 2010 there were over 5,100 deaths from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. As homes become better sealed for energy efficiency, any carbon monoxide in the house is less likely to escape, leading to greater numbers of problems. The most significant risk of poisoning comes for those who are over 65 years of age and those suffering from breathing and lung problems. In addition to the deaths from carbon monoxide, many thousands of illnesses occur each year.
Health Risks From Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide displaces oxygen in the blood, leading to serious health problems when with significant amounts of carbon monoxide get into the bloodstream. Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea, and vomiting. It is easy to see how these symptoms could be mistaken for other health problems before carbon monoxide becomes apparent as the source of the issue. Those with heart problems may see their conditions worsen with large amounts of carbon monoxide exposure, and even otherwise healthy individuals may develop heart problems when exposed over a long period.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors Save Lives
The benefits of having a carbon monoxide detector may be obvious; however, simply grabbing a box off the counter at the local hardware store may not be enough to protect your home. There are varying levels of detection available in retail stores, and it is not always obvious which is best for your home. Additionally, different detectors must be installed at different heights to provide the appropriate levels of alert. If not installed correctly, these detectors may provide little or no benefit to your family. Having an electrician determine the best detector for your home and professionally install it is the best way to ensure that your home is safe from this deadly gas.