5 Tips For Safely Using A Space Heater

checklist-1622517_1280This winter has been exceptionally challenging for most of the country. If you have experienced some challenges this winter, you probably know all about needing extra firewood to keep warm or adding more blankets to each of the beds in your home.

Here are a few tips for making sure that your home stays warm without putting you or your family at risk for a house fire:

 

 

  • Keep heaters at least three feet away from drapes, furniture, bedspreads, or any combustible materials. These items can easily get heated up from the temperature of the heater and can either catch fire or melt. If they melt, they could drip hot liquid onto the carpet and start a fire there.
  • Never use an extension cord with space heaters. Heaters draw a lot of current and can cause an extension cord to overheat, creating a serious fire hazard. Extensions cords are only meant to be a temporary power source for things like tools or other small appliances that you use for a fixed amount of time. Using a space heater with an extension is not how the cord was intended to be used.
  • Never run a heater cord under carpet or furniture. It can cause the cord to overheat and start a fire. Also, if the cord has any areas of damage where the wires inside are exposed, the carpet could start fire if the wires are overheated.
  • Don’t use a space heater in wet or damp areas, and never touch the heater when your body is wet. Water is an excellent conductor of electricity, and even new heaters can have defects. Definitely do not use a space heater anywhere near a bathtub. Bathrooms can get very cold during the severe winter temperatures but, a space heater in the bathroom is more risk than it is benefit.
  • Turn your heater off when you leave the room or while you’re sleeping. By the time you notice a problem, it could be too late. Take the extra few seconds to even unplug it so there is no risk of any electrical fire.

If you have some cold areas of the home and you have added space heaters, it is important to use them responsibly and protect your home from any damage.

 

You must be logged in to post a comment.